CLINICAL RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP IN REFRACTIVE, CORNEA AND LENS SURGERY.
Professor Jorge L. Alio MD, PhD, FEBOphthal
Professor and Chairman of Ophthalmology,
Miguel Hernandez University
Course Director of the International Online Course in Refractive, Cornea and Lens Surgery
Vissum Instituto Oftalmologico de Alicante
The objective of the fellowship is to increase the knowledge both clinical and surgical as well as the theoretical and skill basis of the fellow on the topics of the area of Refractive, Cornea and Lens surgery, simple and complicated cases, as well as in those other areas of ophthalmology relevant for the anterior segment surgeon such as glaucoma and ocular surface disorders.
The fellow participates as observer in the clinical and surgical activities, as well as in research studies.
The advanced refractive surgery fellow’s clinical and academic pursuits will be located at the premises of Vissum Instituto Oftalmológico de Alicante, within the Department of Research and Development at Vissum Alicante. The fellows will have free access to our departmental libraries and computers. The clinical and surgical activities will be performed also at the premises of Vissum Instituto Oftalmológico de Alicante and at the experimental facilities of the division of ophthalmology Universidad Miguel Hernández. Senior specialists in the area will supervise all activities under tutorial basis.
Fellow’s responsibilities include:
- Participation in the clinical sessions and in online sessions with other eye centers and universities worldwide.
- Rotation at the clinical office and the operating room activities related to the area as observer.
- Participation in the clinical follow up of the patients included in clinical trials.
- Participation in collaborative research with the anterior segment ophthalmologists of VISSUM.
Regarding the research part, the fellow participates in the clinical studies on the area and he/she must be able to write and publish scientific papers (at least one paper as a first author every 6 months and as a coauthor every 3 months).
Regarding the clinical part, the fellow is required to have the homologation of the title of medicine in Spain.
Teaching activities will be performed following the lessons of the international online course “Refractive, cornea and lens surgery”, under the direct supervision of Prof. Jorge Alió and the collaboration of the associated professors and honorary professors (Jorge Alió del Barrio and Alfredo Vega).
We also have a wetlab in which phacoemulsification and corneal procedures can be practiced in pigs’ eyes.
All the fellows will be under direct supervision of Prof. Jorge L. Alió MD, PhD, FEBOphth and Laurent Bataille (Director of VISSUM R&D department)
Other clinical supervisors of the fellows include Dr. Jorge Alió del Barrio and Dr. Alfredo Vega, senior specialists in refractive, cornea and lens surgery.
The fellows may decide:
- To join the on-line specialization course “Clinical methodology in refractive, cornea and lens surgery” of University Miguel Hernandez of Alicante, To see the list of teaching activities and on-line lessons of this course go to the webpage: http://www.refractivesurgeryonlinecourse.com
- To join the PhD Doctorate Program of the Miguel Hernández University. For this activity, separate information will be provided upon request. The PhD Doctorate Cycle at the Miguel Hernández University is specifically regulated by the University in addition, either of the supervising professors of the course can direct the doctorate thesis.
- To join humanitarian projects for the development and enhancement of practical surgical experience. In these projects there is the option of doing cataract surgery under senior surgeons’ supervision with direct access to cataract and anterior segment surgeries, as first surgeon in the adequate cases (the fellow must have a previous experience as first surgeon in at least 150 cataract cases). For this activity, separate information will be provided upon request.
The fellowship should be followed for a minimum of 6 months and up to 2 years. The applicants for fellowship may receive grant support from the institutions organizing the fellowship activity, Miguel Hernandez University and/or Vissum Instituto Oftalmológico de Alicante, with specific benefits such as housing, grants and other financial support to support in part the fellowship activities of the applicant. Each application will be reviewed independently in this respect. The fellows should make a commitment to stay a minimum of 6 months following this academic activity to have access to this financial support.
If convenient, the candidates can ask questions about activities of the course to the following previous senior fellows of the institution.
- Dr. Mohamed Bahrawy (Cairo, Egypt) email@example.com
- Dr. Francisco Amparo (Boston, Massachusetts USA) firstname.lastname@example.org Dr. Alessandro Abbouda (Italia) email@example.com
- Dr. Bassan Elkadi (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia) firstname.lastname@example.org Dr. Sabat Abu Mustafa (Kuwait) email@example.com
- Dra. Chiara Fariselli (Italia) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Francesco D’Oria (Italia) email@example.com
- Dra. Hessah Alrabiah (Kuwait) firstname.lastname@example.org