Purpose of the course:
The University Expert course “Clinical Methodology in Refractive, Cataract and Corneal Surgery”, aims to provide an integral education in the topic in a suitable framework for learning, using an comprehensive program, ranging from the basic sciences of refractive surgery, such as: Ocular Anatomy, Physiology and Optics, to the advanced methods of surgical correction of cataracts, corneal and refraction surgery along with management of complications.
The didactic material is created evidence-based, above all in refractive surgery, providing the knowledge which is today necessary on the subjects of Cataract and Cornea surgery which are necessary for the modern comprehensive refractive surgeon. The Course also offers teaching activities about methodologies of medical research, analysis of results, statistical methods such as the computer program SPSS, as well as a certified course on Good Clinical Practices, explaining also the Helsinki declaration for the purpose of clinical research.
The Course offers also the possibility for the student to develop a Research Project at the end of the course, in which the student will need to be able to demonstrate the acquired the adequate skills and apply the methodology and techniques of clinical research that have been learned during the course . This activity is performed under the tutorship of the well-known experts of the International Faculty of the Course.
The advances of communication have made scientific knowledge more globally accessible, facilitating the learning process across the internet and other computer platforms, giving rise to a quicker and more flexible way to learn. Online education ensures the reception of educational programs such as this course, to a large number of ophthalmologists, through a flexible form that suits the demanding medical profession.
The creation of this course and the resulting degree is done for the benefit of the international ophthalmology community to cover the gap that today exists in many Ophthalmology teaching programs about Refractive Surgery. The Course has the university recognition, once that is completed and evaluated, at the level of UNIVERSITY EXPERT, by the University of Miguel Hernandez.
Objectives of the course:
- Provide a comprehensive review of basic scientific review related to refractive surgery.
- To provide an didactic comprehensive educational program about the fundamentals and advances of refractive surgery.
- Focus of refractive topics related to cataract surgery.
- Focus on corneal diseases and the perspective analysis of refractive treatment.
- Provide a summary of essential surgery skills, research and instrumentations that a refractive surgeon needs.
- Incorporate evidence-based medical concepts following international guidelines for management practice.
- Training in good clinical practices in relation to clinical trials.
- Create an interactive network channel between students and a panel of international consultants and professors at a global level.
- The students are introduced to the fundamentals of research methodology and analysis of data using as scientific tools Biostatistical methods and Good Clinical Practice standards.
- The integration of students in research projects related to themes of the course.
- Enhance the importance of continued and self-medical education.
- To help the students reach a level of knowledge in the theoretical framework necessary to establish a solid internship for training.
- Creation of active channels in the analysis method, management and advice of complicated clinical situations.
- Training for surgeons to learn methods of detection and treatments of issues. They will know how to treat these issues with an ethical perspective keeping in mind the rights of the patients.
- Refractive Surgery Introductory Course
- Advanced Refractive Course: Part I (Corneal)
- Advanced Refractive Course: Part II (Intraocular)
- Surgical Modalities
- Intraocular lenses in Cataract Surgery
- Femtosecond Assisted Cataract Surgery
- Fundamental of Corneal Imaging
- Corneal Graft Surgery
- Keratoconus Management
- AMO Intralase Physician Course
- Basic Suturing Techniques
- Instruments in Cataract, Refractive and Corneal Surgery
- Clinical Practice Standards in Refractive Surgery
- Clinical Practice Standards in Lens Surgery
- Clinical Practice Standards in Corneal Surgery
- Standardization of Refractive Surgery Outcomes
- Keratoconus grading and its implications in the therapy
- IC & Segments
- Advanced collagen cross linking
- Corneal grafting in keratoconus: which, when and how?
- Cataract surgery in the patient with keratoconus
- AND SELECT MODULE 6A OR 6B
A. ADVANCED BIOESTATISTICAL AND RESEARCH STANDARDS
- Study Design
- Research Protocol
- SPSS database example model tutorial
B. GOOD MEDICAL PRACTICES AND RESEARCH STANDARDS
- GCP Online Course
- Fundamentals of Medical Research